Wednesday 11 March 2015

A Hobby For All Seasons: How Wargaming Keeps Its Hold on Us


As I come up to 15 years of wargaming in various forms, I’ve started to think more and more about the place the hobby has in my life and how it has influenced me over the years. I thought that for today’s post, I would do something a little more autobiographical and then take a look at why the hobby has such a hold on the lives of gamers.

My life in the Hobby

Being “that kid"
 
I have been involved in the hobby since I was 14 but I was always building and playing with models when I was younger. My first encounter with miniatures came when I was maybe 9 or 10 and I needed infantry for my micro machines. I found a model shop and they have 1/72 scale troops. They weren’t painted, but they were the right size. I kept going and getting new troops and in the process noticed Warhammer.

For all their faults, GW is an amazing gateway into the hobby and I would bet that a huge number of current serious wargamers are products of the slick marketing and over the top hobby approach of Games Workshop. While the accessibility of Games Workshop products to young people has lessened given the prices, their focus on churning out new gamers still brings the next generation onto the tabletops. My first GW product was the excellent 5th edition Warhammer Fantasy starter set containing Lizardmen and Brettonians. I recall not even trying with the Brettonians, but I did get the Lizardmen painted in a garish dark green and bright red scheme that invoked images of Christmas and festivities more than the deep dark jungles of Lustria.

My first army was High Elves, and I still look forward to the day when I have the patient to recreate my old force. My Elves had bright blue hair and, as every cheesy High Elf player in 5th edition believed, loved their bolt throwers. I played in a campaign organized by the local store (the venerable Dreamers in St. Louis Park, Minnesota) where victories brought rolls for “territories”. As we could choose between what we rolled, I kept picking war machine territories and packed on the bolt thrower. I can’t imagine it was fun for my opponents at all.

My army was basically as many of these as possible plus some blue haired spearmen




Terrible Tournaments

From there I got into 40k and other games. I also, unfortunately, started playing in tournaments. You might ask why that’s unfortunate. It’s not that I don’t like tournaments. I love the idea of tournaments. You get to play three or more games in a day against diverse competition. You meet new people, have motivation to finish armies and it is generally a good time. Moreover, some of my best games have been in tournaments and the mere existence of an upcoming tournament focused my hobby, led me to many practice games and really energized me in general. Where I was playing a game where I was unskilled or new, I had a great time at tournaments. However, sometimes I was actually good at the game and then my competitive side came out.

I am quite good at 40k. The game clicks for me. I understand where to put what force at what time and how to bring about results. I win the vast majority of the games I play, and oftentimes without much muss or fuss. There’s something about it that really works with my way of thinking, and so when I would go to 40k tournaments it would be to win. Of course, these weren’t grand tournaments or anything, but little regional affairs.  I won my first 40k tournament at the old Air Traffic in Bloomington, Minnesota in high school. I remember I was playing an all infantry valhallan imperial guard army that I had been working on building blister by blister for ages. I realized I loved winning these things, and it totally ruined tournaments for me. I became a nervous wreck who overanalyzed the games and didn’t just enjoy the fact that I was doing something I loved. Making the right moves, creating success and crushing my opponents became very important. Now, I wasn’t “that guy” and wouldn’t be nasty or unpleasant to my opponents. This was more of an internal stress that weighed down on my enjoyment. I would be exhausted and even winning, not happy about how things went. I would focus on the small failures even among the greater wins.  I started to resent tournaments. During a two year period while I was living abroad in Romania, I won their national championship back to back. I should have been pleased and excited about doing well against some wonderful players, but instead I swore off tournaments.
 
Me at a competitive tourney.




Frats and Toys

When I left for college at 18, I decided to not bring my miniatures. I was going down to Arizona State and felt that it was time for a change. I was prepped for four years of parties, women and the type of lifestyle that really didn’t suit miniatures gamer. What would my roommates and other ultra-cool college guys think about little toys and my painting of them?

I lasted two and a half months before I walked the two miles to the local gaming store (the Game Depot in Tempe, Arizona) to buy some paints and some miniatures. Now, a two mile walk isn’t normally a big deal. Having since lived in New York and London, walking is a non-issue. However, this was two miles in 110 degree weather (that’s 43 degrees Celsius if you prefer) along baking sidewalks. No one walks in Arizona, but I did just to get my plastic crack.





Not painting and working on miniatures for those few months was interesting for me. I’d been non-stop planning armies, creating projects and looking forward to tournaments for years by then. It was something I did everyday, and so removing it felt strange. I know I played more video games and chatted online more, but it wasn’t like anything spectacular filled my time. I found myself making fewer goals for things, even outside of the hobby. I will discuss how the hobby interacts with my work and life in terms of goals and objectives later, but basically I was less active in planning my life when I wasn’t planning my miniatures. I felt less creative, less engaged and just less myself. It was a strange feeling and I felt I was better off with my gaming than without.

The hobby played a very strange role in college. I wasn’t the normal hobbyist at school. I was a fraternity member my entire time in college (Rah Rah Delta, ΔTΔ) and thoroughly involved in the partying, boozing and enjoying the social life of America’s premier party school. I learned during this time not to be ashamed or embarrassed that I enjoyed my hobby. Rather than being something I was worried would make me look uncool or something, the paints and models in my room at the house would become conversation pieces. Now, I didn’t go out of my way to broadcast that I was a gamer, but I sure didn’t get bothered that people knew. I realized that everyone has their hobbies and interests and that the hobby simply was mine.

 
I expanded the tabletop games I played in college big time.



After three years in Phoenix, I moved to Romania for a study abroad scholarship and left my toys at home. For the second time since I started playing, I decided to put down the hobby as I entered into a new stage in life and focus on the new country. Little did I know that the hobby would end up sticking around in its own way, and that even abandoned it would have a profound effect on my life.

I was living in Cluj-Napoca, Romania with an 84 year old woman who didn’t speak one word of English and I knew absolutely no one. It was summer and school hadn’t started, which meant Cluj was deserted. Not content to wait for classes to meet people, I took to trolling the bars and being obscenely outgoing. Most of the time this resulted in nice conversations with people I’d never see again, but one night I was a bar with a number of pool table trying to talk to people. One group of people roughly my age were playing pool and I thought I’d interject and ask them what game they were playing. We started talking and shooting some pool. Then the guy in the group called his shot. He said he was trying to hit the “Liche Purple” ball over there. I thought I’d misheard him and asked him to repeat that. It was clear, I had found another gamer.



I started to hang out with this guy and his friends as school started. We shared a common hobby and a common like for beer, games and girls. In time I met more and more of his friends. Instead of gaming, I was at the bars meeting people, clubbing and living it up. One night we decided to pre-game before the bar with a friend of his and her classmates. One of those classmates I met that night ended up becoming my wife. I think back and think, “if he had said purple or pointed instead of broadcasting his nerdiness is a most unexpected way, I never would have met her.”

On account of meeting her and having a wonderful time in Romania, I decided to stay a few more years and to bring my hobby with me. I met wonderful people, played in some tournaments and got back to my old self. Sitting here four years after I left Romania, it’s the people I met gaming that I still talk to and keep in touch with most. It felt like wherever I went I could find people in the hobby with which to connect.

Hobbying while Busy

Entering law school in New York after moving from Romania changed my hobby greatly. For the first time, I was intensely busy studying and becoming involved in the overwhelming world of U.S. legal education. I was unused the competition and commitments required, and it cut down my painting and modeling time greatly. Instead, I discovered trading. I could sit in class and buy, sell and trade miniatures. Negotiations and figuring out how to get the exact army I wanted for cheap was thrilling, and even during those time when I didn’t have time to paint I knew I could still enjoy my hobby. My wife volunteered to pack and ship things for a cut of the money, and I was in wargamer heaven. I got games in here or there at the local Games Workshop (8th Street for the win) or against my wife in those games she enjoys, but the hobby was different during school. I had grown frustrated with tournaments and how they made me feel, so it was just casual gaming and casual trading.

After graduating law school, I started working in London for an American law firm. The hours are long and the work intense, but unlike in school, when I’m off work I’m off work. There isn’t lingering pressure or study that simply is never done. I’ve been able to get back to painting and playing. We got an apartment big enough to have a dedicated hobby room (I will do a post on this at a later day) and I’ve found some wonderful people at Dark Sphere to play games with on the weekends. My hobby is quite different than it was before. I never know when the work will be done during the week so I have to plan and anticipate games as opposed to show up and play. I may have two weeks with no painting time and then two weeks with tons of time. I’ve gone from cash poor, time rich to cash rich and time poor. I always worried about what I could get and not how I would ever get the time to paint it.


Too true.





This time situation is what led me to start this blog. I have some down time at work and thought that I could do an article here and there. I love reading WWPD, Breakthrough Assault and Drunken Samauri blogs each day and thought I could connect to my hobby through sharing my thoughts, opinions, pictures and games with the gaming work. As my hobby continually adopts to my lifestyle and I have to find new ways to feel engaged, opportunities such as writing in a blog breathe fresh air into the experience. It is this continual evolution and expansion that I want to write about today. How does this hobby keep drawing me back into it and changing to suit my need?

Why do we keep playing?

The Ever Changing Hobby

Last week I wrote an article on the Battlefront State of the Union. I wrote about the Vietnam river boats and how much I liked the monitors. I then looked up the monitors on Wikipedia. This led to reading about the riverine campaign and then to other areas of operations in Vietnam. This led to me downloading the book “Easy Target” by Tom Smith (an amazing read) about airmobile scout pilots. I finished the book last night on the train home from work, and when I arrived home I unpacked the box of Loaches that I’d picked up from the store and paid for the boxes of U.S. and NVA infantry I’d found on the Facebook Flames of War Swap Shop.

My engaging of the hobby wasn’t just writing an article and buying some models. I got to learn about a war I know too little about, read about the experiences of a pilot and his struggles through the war, and then have the opportunity to recreate situations and battles that I read about. I’m starting a second memoir and have been downloading a long list of Vietnam movies. The hobby isn’t just some toys that I paint and play with but a mechanism for engaging my interest in the world around me.

It is this “extracurricular” aspect that keeps me going. The games don’t change much year in and year out. I find myself painting basically the same models for the same armies for the same systems that I was doing five, ten or fifteen years ago. Yeah, some are in plastic now or are bigger or are extra fancy, but once you boil it down it’s all the same thing. What makes it fascinating is the universe of other things that tie into the games.

Historicals obviously have a huge advantage with this. You can find history books, photographs, in depth analysis of uniforms, organization and strategy. There are countless video and computer games that cover many of the periods that these games occupy, and you can waste hours using your Sherman tanks in a game before painting some up and playing them on the tabletop. Fantasy and Sci-fi games are realizing the pull of having a broad range of non-miniatures media around their games. GW has licensed the Dawn of War series, pumps out novels with Black Library, created a godawful Ultramarines movie and has even attempted to recreate some of the historical feel with the Forgeworld campaign books. It is possible to spend all your free time reading, painting, playing games and researching without ever leaving the 40K or Fantasy universe. Privateer is close on GWs heels with their excellent line of books and their upcoming Warmachine video game. The hobby keeps growing into new forms of entertainment.

The Other Smelly Guys
Wargaming: where all your neckbeard and fedora dreams come true

I have lived in many places since I started in the hobby, from my hometown of Minneapolis to Phoenix, Cluj-Napoca, Bucharest, New York, Budapest and now to London. In each place I was able to find a wonderful, welcoming community of gamers with whom I made friends. In each place I was able to find a place for myself, and it has done a lot to help me avoid the pitfalls of moving internationally for relatively short periods of time. I find the hobby to be my anchor through rapidly changing life situations. I may be faced with a daunting new job or exceptionally strange customs, but a d6 is the same everywhere I go.

When I meet up with my friends from high school, we shoot the shit over old gaming days and current news. Where we have drifted apart, the hobby remains something we share. My friends don’t always understand the rigor of my job or how it is to be married or move so often, but we always have something we are on the same page about.

I think community is an important part of the hobby for many gamers. There are so many amazing options for someone who is fantasy or historically minded to become immersed in their interest. People can tour battlefields, do re-enactment or play the aforementioned video games. However, tabletop miniatures has an intense social side that many of those do not offer. You are forced to interact with others. The enjoyment of the game is dependent on another person, how you act and the shared excitement of what is happening on the table. This sets it apart and gives it legs. Yes, you can interact with people in video games, but is it really interaction when a twelve year old is describing how he fornicated with your mother? Wargaming generally brings together mature, dedicated and interesting people who love the same thing as a core part of the experience. It’s hard to become bored of that.


Plastic Crack

We all joke about plastic crack and obsession, but the more I think about the hobby the more I see this idea in my experience. There is a high for me when I’m planning a project, researching and dreaming about how it will look or play on the tabletop. I become excited, for days or weeks, in a euphoria that I’ve only otherwise experienced when I become exceptionally involved and busy at work on a big deal with tight deadlines and the whole team is working towards the same goal. I crave that feeling in my hobby. I start too many projects, and leave far too many unfinished. I buy, sell and trade constantly as I jump into new, exciting things and start new projects. It’s been 15 years and I still get the same excitement and feeling when planning a new army that I did with my first. I don’t know how healthy it is, but I guess if I’m going to be chasing a high, one relating to painting toy soldiers can’t be that bad.
Got any more of those projects?

 

Goals and Productivity

Law school exam time in the U.S. is an insane pressure cooker of long hours of studying, a feeling that you’ll never learn it all, and a time to take stock in the fact that you’re directly competing with some of the smartest people you’ve ever met for a tiny stock of good grades (for the >70% of my readership outside of the U.S., law school exams in America are graded on a curve such that only ~3-4% get the top grade, ~10% the next and so forth). Exam time is also when I was the most productive in painting in my entire life. I got so many miniatures done during the few weeks of exams that even I couldn’t believe my production.

When I’m productive in life, I’m productive in my hobby. However, I have often also used by hobby to jumpstart my life productivity. If I can push ahead and get that one unit done or that one project realized, I see a visible effect on my work the next day or week. When I was stalled with studying, I would put it away and paint to jump start my productivity. I realize that as I paint I make goals. One more figure, one more unit, one more vehicle. This thinking then gets translated to doing well on the new document or being especially prepared for a specific meeting.

I was somewhat lost when I was younger. I was immature in high school and really didn’t take school seriously. I didn’t set goals at all, and just kind of lived life one day at a time. However, when it came to toys I had goals, schedules of what to do and the ability to realize those goals. It was only when I got older and realized how important all of that was in my actual life that things started straightening out. However, instead of having to learn all of those skills from scratch, I had years of practice from my hobby. I never thought about how it would help me in the future, but it meant that this major life change was far easier and far more successful than it otherwise would have been.

The goal making and project based thinking of the hobby keeps me glued to it. I’ve become so used to having a steady stream of to-dos and goals set in my life that I feel empty without it. There is always something more to work for and strive for in the hobby. It’s like playing an MMO and grinding for the next level, except that there is such a diversity of games and experiences that the grind doesn’t have to be. Making it to that next level and finishing that project keeps gaming fresh and interesting for me after all this time.

Conclusions

Everyone’s hobby experience is different and we also place it to some degree of importance or another in our lives, but the truth is we do have a shared experience. In such a social game, community makes things happen. My blog would go unwritten without readers to share it with, my projects would become stale without the amazing contributions of others to give ideas and motivation while gaming alone would mean an end to my playing days. The hobby may help me set goals, find my creative side and let me chase the high of planning, but in the end it’s about meeting and connecting with people over something we love. Seeing that new player understand how amazing little toys on the table can be, or helping an old player reignite that passion keeps me coming back time and time again.

I’d like to hear what makes you, the fellow hobbyist, love the hobby. We spend so much money and time on these damned little toys and yet it seems once people become miniatures gamers they tend to stick. What’s your story?

No comments:

Post a Comment