Monday 2 March 2015

X-Wing Batrep: Rebels vs. Scum and Villainy


I am a huge fan of the X-wing miniatures game. In fact, it is possibly my favorite game. Why?

·                 The rules make for a quick, easy game with tons of customization. The use of cards to provide upgrades and special rules along with a limited (albeit growing) set of abilities means that awkward interactions and confusing rules are few and far in between.

·                 It feels balanced. I’m not talking tournament lists, but rather for casual play where you just grab cool looking units. The games are usually pretty tight and it’s enjoyable even when the dice go against you.

·                 Painted models. The models come pre-painted and ready to play without being ugly, soft plastic or lacking detail. I can get a new set of ships and have them on the table in minutes. This is exactly what happened with the batrep below. I had the models and they were on the table, instead of waiting for me to assemble, paint and base like most games.

·                 Not super expensive. I buy each set as it comes out. Sometimes this is 60 pounds, sometimes more. However, that’s it. I don’t have to buy terrain, additional units (unless I’m doing something spammy), rulebooks or anything else.

·                 I’m not very good at it. This may seem like a strange one. Why would I like something I’m bad at? Well, there’s no push to win. Some games I’m quite good at (e.g. Warhammer 40k) and I feel like I’m overly competitive at them. If I know I’m terrible (such as for Flames of War or X-Wing), I can just enjoy the game for what it is.

·                 My wife plays it. I have tried very hard to get my wife into tabletop games. She plays boardgames with glee, we play some hypercompetitive dominos and she does 100% of the application of basing materials on my flames of war and other models, but tabletop games are a struggle. She’s knows how to play warmachine and we’ve played that a ton, but I feel that’s more to make me happy than her enjoying it. X-wing is the exception. She actually enjoys the game and offers to play (instead of me asking). Being able to whip out the table and play with an in-house opponent means I get more games in and in a VERY casual playing environment.
On Friday, my wife went to the miniatures store (shout out to Dark Sphere, London) to pick up some supplies for me since I generally cannot get out of the office until after it closes. I’d asked her to find out if the new scum and villainy models were out yet since I thought to get some once they were released. She ended up not just asking, but buying a copy of the large box with 2 Z-95s and 1 Y-wing, IG-88’s ship and the Starviper from Shadows of the Empire. They were out of the interceptor but I was not bothered at all.

We decided to play a quick game to try out some of the new upgrades and ships. The game was a 100 point, kill-them-all with me taking Scum and Villainy and her taking her usual rebel forces.

 (my vicious opponent plotting against my poor pilots)

Lists:
Scum:

I chose to bring a list with few ships but lots of fun toys. I normally play Imperial and bring a lot of ships, but this time I thought that I should try out the new upgrades that came with the Scum boxes.
The new upgrades are really wonderful. My personal favorite is the autothrusters. Septy (my wife) loves to take Chewbacca in the Falcon and the turret is always a nightmare for my interceptors. Autothrusters should give me a chance to escape too much damage. 
I love the new headhunter that gets an additional attack die at 17 points for PS7. I thought to run him as a lone wolf with outmaneuver to swoop in and put some hurt on isolated units. I also wanted to try out the hot-shop blaster so that if I went head-to-head with another ship I could get the last laugh as we passed.
I took the Starviper loaded to bear. The virago title allows for a huge number of additional upgrades, and with this freedom I took the accuracy corrector to ensure damage was done and inertial dampeners to take advantage of enemy ships flying by. With Guri’s ability to get focus through proximity to enemies even when stressed, I could use the inertial and still have focused shots.
The Aggressor I took was IG88a, who gains shields when enemies are destroyed. I thought by picking on weaker enemies he could stay in the game longer. I gave him autothrusters and adrenaline rush. Adrenaline rush with the turning-flip maneuver that this ship can do allows for a really nasty trick.
Rebels:

Septy does not like to take a lot of upgrades as she consistently forgets to use them when needed. Accordingly, her lists tend to have a large number of ships that are bare-bones. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it falls flat on its face.
She started by taking Chewbacca with intelligence agent. He is an absolute tank and still has the 3 shots with 360 degree arc. I would say that most games with her I end up facing the Y-1300. She then added two rookie X-wings who are always solid. Finally, a Chaardon-refit A-wing was added. More and more I find myself facing the cheaper, missileless A-wings. They are quick as can be but lack firepower. 
Battlefield: We threw out several asteroids to make things interesting. We have been adding more and more obstacles to our games as we get better at flying. Most of the time they just add challenge, but when someone’s dice are off and their flying is bad they can prove to be a real pain.
The battlemat used is actually a custom job. My friend Raul’s father owned a print shop and he made it for me from a stock photo online. When I moved from Romania to the U.S., I sold the mat to the local gaming shop in Bucharest. After about a year or so, I realized that I really liked it and wanted to start playing space games. My brother-in-law went to the gaming shop and bought it back, and it made its way back to the States and in my possession. Normally I end up selling things and then kicking myself for losing them. At least with this I was able to get it back and in decent shape.
The Battle:
The photos are taken at the beginning of each turn before any movement and shooting.
Deployment:

Septy massed around the center with her ships, while angling a single X-wing out to engage my Z-95 whose base can be seen at the extreme top left. My other two ships positioned themselves to the bottom right. We were both at 100 points, and were unsure who got the initiative. We figured that the Imperials break ties, and so scum likely did too and so we gave the bad guys the initiative.
Turn 1:
The flanking Z-95 and X-wing face off in a head-to-head, while Septys forces zoom forward. IG88 and the Starviper move to engage the flanks.
Septy had 9 total shots on IG88a (3 from Chewie, 3 from the X-wing and 3 from the A-wing). I had a focus and 3 defence dice. In a brilliant display of crap dice and excellent rebel shooting, IG88 lost all 4 of his shields and 2 hull points.
In return, the A-wing lost its shields and took critical damage from return fire.
On the flank, the X-wing lost one shield while inflicting 3 damage on the Z-95 including a critical that removed its action bar. Ouch!
Turn 2:
(no picture)
Chewie turned sharp to the right straight into an asteroid and taking one damage, as did the flanking X-wing. Septy’s piloting was weak the entire game.
IG-88 set himself up for a close range pass to kill the A-wing and whiffed, while the Starvipe flew towards Chewie and the X-wing but could not hit the broad side of a barn. Chewie took off IG88’s second to last damage.
The flanking Z-95 headhunter strips off the shields of the flanking X-wing with his tricky hot-shot blaster to the rear.
All together, a pathetic turn for all involved.

Turn 3:


Septy’s poor prototype pilot runs smack dab into and asteroid and dies a sad, pathetic death.

IG88 turns into a perfect firing position while running into Chewie and to keep the wookie’s guns off the wily droid.
The flanking Z-95 flips around and lights up the flanking X-wing. My 17 point beast of a Scum/Villain ensures that the rookie pilot never graduates to veteran status.
IG88 puts some damage on the X-wing
Turn 4:

IG-88 turn flips to chase Chewie and the X-wing while the Starviper and Z-95 (freed from killing the X-wing) rush in to put on damage.
IG88 puts several points of damage onto Chewie but then falls to the quad lasers of the Wookie’s freighter.
Turn 5:


Chewie runs into the StarViper who uses the damper to keep himself in position and safe from the Wookie. The Z-95 is out of position but avoids death by dodging Chewies long range attacks. The X-Wing takes two damage from the Starviper.
Turn 6:

The Z-95 headhunter rushes in to target the Wookie, while the Starviper flip turns to add additional punishment. In a brilliant display of gunnery, the Z-95 pumps three damage into the Wookie, who was outmaneuvered and unable to defend.
The Starviper then lined up his shot and with the help of his pilot ability giving him focus, tacked on the additional 3 damage required to send Chewie to wookie heaven.


(Septy was VERY sad at losing Chewie)

Turn 6: 


The X-wing was under the guns of both remaining scum vessels and would shoot last. In a very expected turn of events, the rookie was blown out of the sky by the Z-95 Headhunter and the Scum took the day!
Conclusions:
I really like the new faction. It seems that they have a lot of tricks with their upgrades and ships that change the playing field. I especially love the turning-flip maneuver. Being able to not just flip around but do so in a way that changes your orientation is quite powerful. I wish the Starviper allowed for a normal K-turn in addition to a turning K-turn, but you can’t have everything.
I’m unsure of the Aggressor where there aren’t multiple on the battlefield. It seems quite expensive for what you get and it does seem more fragile than most large ships. I will have to play it more (or get a 2nd/3rd/4th) to see how it goes.
I think Septy needs to look into and utilize more upgrades. Sometimes the flexibility they give you is worth its weight in gold, and I know that using special abilities (such as the Z-95 pilot ability) really helped me during the game.
 I think with some of the new abilities and pilots, a Z-95 horde could be quite powerful. It is by far my favorite X-wing ship and I’d love to fly a few around.

No comments:

Post a Comment